Wesley's STCCG card of the day #146
today I'm making an attempt at reviewing AU's most powerful card (IMHO)
and I am pretty sure I did not get all uses of:
Doorway, rare AU.
Allows you to play a card "from the future". Whether or not you currently
have a Devidian Door in your hand, at any time say "Devidian Door" and
play (to anywhere) one personnel or Equipment card from your hand.
However, any time during your next turn, you must show opponent a
Devidian Door from your hand and place it out-of-play or you lose the
Okay, where do I start this one?
Probably with the final rating first: This one is a gamebreaker. Will go
right next to the Black Lotus of Magic in terms of what is a too-fast
Uses for this one abound:
- Most basic: If your crew urgently needs an extra skill but is far away
from any outpost, use it as a mini-outpost to avoid the time cost of
transporting your crewmember to the place she is needed at.
- With redshirts: Select a mission doable by a lone personnel (Evaluate
Terraforming, Investigate Time Continuum...) Redshirt the Dilemmas, then
get in your big guy and solve the mission without even getting stopped as
the Devidian Door plays at interrupt speed.
- Nasty surprise: When your opponent thinks it safe to attack your team,
surprise her with a Echo Papa Drone, Phaser or Data from your hand to
tilt the scales your way.
- Getting back into play: You lost one too many crew for passing that *&%
Q-Net or flying your big ship? Don't worry, be doory.
- In the nick of time: Can't get your Red Alert? Well, go cruisin' with
a minimal crew, then play the needed guy when you know what Dilemmas you
have to face. Better have a Betazoid Gift Box under that mission to get
that alert then...
- Even worse: Create whole away teams in an interrupt with an
Ophidian cane and a Devidian Door.
- Kill Dilemmas: Hold a Security and a Security Sacrifice. Nullify any
Dilemma that just struck you. Security are always great candidates for
dooring, anyway (you don't need them everywhere but if you do it gets
- Ouch: Just uncovered your Kurlan Naiskos at the far end of the
spaceline? An lack a CIVILIAN? No problem - Devidian Door and start
blasting away! (at triple speed, too!)
- Fear some discard effect? Use Devidian Door + Sam Clemens' pocketwatch
and drop it right away.
- Pokerface: Use it to solve the mission that gives you the Betazoid gift box
and get it from your draw deck with the Box. You don't need it in
your hand for this variant.
- Last stand: Your opponent gonna win next turn? Devidian door anything
that stops him from doing so, even if you don't have the card. Play a
Kivas Fajo next turn and hope for the 20-50% chance you'll draw it...
- The degenerate deck: 4 Kivas Fajo, 4 Devidian Doors, 2 Travelers,
Red Alert, 14 decent Fed personnel, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-C, Q2,
Kevin Uxbridge, Goddess of Empathy.
Seed cards: Naiskos, Ophidian Cane, Horga'hn, Betazoid Gift Box,
Data's Head, 6 Fed planet missions, AU door, 17 Dilemmas, Fed outpost.
Makes Warp 9 seem like snail's crawl!
Caveat: You should only use it if you don't have it in hand, if you
- either absolutely know you're gonna draw it
- or you are going to lose anyway so it's better to take the chance...
- Any one that makes good use of this card
Ratings for : DEVIDIAN DOOR
Wesley's rating: 11.0 (Oops... make that 10)
Brad's rating: 9.0
Cole's rating: 6.0
Hal's rating: 5.2
Heather's rating: 7.0
John's rating: 6.5
Lore's rating: 8.2
Jack's rating: 6.0
Matt's rating: 7.5
Mike's rating: 7.5
Movar's rating: 10.0
Serge's rating: 10.0
Tony's rating: 4.0
AVERAGE RATING: 7.5
Don't ask me where the 4's and 5's come from, but if I had realized the
value of a Lotus on the first day, I'd be a really rich man by now :-)
(In the beginning they were traded for Serra Angels, you guys probably
know better and keep your Devidian Doors...)
Please direct all email concerning card of the day to:
Visit the NEW Web Page! http://www.worldonline.nl/~ldp/COTD.html
With all back issues from #1 up to today !
(And by this I mean ALL issues :-) )
Wesley Crusher, the new STCCG Lord
"A couple of lightyears can't keep good friends apart"